Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tough couple of days.....

We are in Mongar after a rough couple of days for Bob & I....we both came down with a case of whatever Montezuma's revenge is called in Bhutan.  He had a more severe case than me but nonetheless mine was enough for me to abandon yesterday's ride.  I was about 15 miles (~30 miles total) and 3,000 feet into a climb which is about halfway, when I realized it wasn't happening.  After numerous stops to relieve myself and despite hydrating like crazy, I was spent.  Caught a ride to the top and we all did the great downhill to the hotel in Mongar.  Today was to be a 91 mile day and I knew that wasn't going to happen, so we all decided to make this a well deserved rest day in Mongar.  Tomorrow we will be driving part of the route and then continuing the cycling into Jakar.  Unfortunate that I won't be able to say I rode across Bhutan but if you've ever had an episode of this traveler's affliction, you understand.
In Mongar, there is a Public Health conference going on and we tagged along with Bob and Marie as they visited. (Diana was the official photographer) We then went to the local hospital and got a tour of the facility and were able to talk to some of the physicians.  Bob and Marie felt they were much more advanced than they were expecting.










A note about photos: I wish I could let you enjoy Diana's photos instead of having to read my crappy writing (yes, its a pun) but the Internet is slow enough that its about a 15 minute per photo operation to upload. Supposedly we'll have 3G in Jakar, but like the roads in Bhutan, perhaps its under construction....stand by.

No comments:

Post a Comment