Monday, November 7, 2011

In Trashigang

Three days of riding completed.  Last night I was completely wiped out and actually felt like I was coming down with something. Got 12+ hours of sleep and feel much better this morning.  A review of the ride statistics helped me understand why I was wiped out:  102 miles....I know not impressive for three days...but 13,978 feet of climbing on roads that were in many cases dirt, gravel and mud.  The sorest muscles I have are my triceps.  For those of you who have ridden with me in the mountains you know how much I enjoy descents: total downhill yesterday was 6,502 feet with most of that on the final descent with reasonable roads.  I was ready to get to the hotel so I let it go. 
I was riding with one of our guides on a realtively tough ascent yesterday when I saw what at first looked like a fire hose on the road.  It turned out to be a snake....according to the guide it was a flat head cobra sunning itself on the road. I can't say I got out a measuring device, but my guess is it was 10-12 feet long. We were stuck as we weren't about to go around it.  Finally a car came up the road and the snake 'slithered' off into the bushes. We made a hasty ascent past where the snake had been.  Talk about a road hazard.
One cultural note:  there was a Buddhist celebration going on in a village along the route and we got invited in.  Very moving with chanting and worshipers being blessed and probably one hundred monks.  The head lama is 17 years old and apprarently quite remarkable.  Just one of the interesting facets of travel in Bhutan.
Pictures are coming........

No comments:

Post a Comment