Thursday, November 3, 2011

More on Guwahati

Think of any negative adjective about a city and it will probably apply to this town....not positive about the crime but with 2.5 mil people, I'm sure there is some.  Oddly though the streets are full of life and  people, most going about their business.  Also the people are generally attractive, especially the women...they wear colorful wraps that are in stark contrast to the mostly squalid surroundings.  Very ironic.  One more note, Diana and I are either rock stars or novelty items, I presume the latter since virtually everyone stares at our very white faces and they are not shy about it....not bad stares just long enough for Diana to use Pee Wee Herman's line: "take a picture it will last longer."
Also, following up on yesterday's 'Zen' blog, the gate attendant in Delhi with the four hour delay had no clue what was going on I suspect.  Her English was not great (but better than my Hindi) so we had a difficult time getting information.  Every ounce of my business acumen wanted to lecture her on what a horrible way this was to run Air India and we would have to think twice about using their services again...but since I know if would have done no good and the situation was completely out of our control I didn't (or as Diana says "chilled").  On top of that I'm sure the attendant would have said so what. That's the Zen of Travel...knowing what you can control and having the wisdom to know what you can't.  Pictures are are on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment